Assessment & Reporting


Students in Grades 8 and 9 will be reported on a four-point proficiency scale:





Students in Grades 10, 11, and 12 will be reported on by letter grades at the completion of each course. Letter grades are based on the provincially accepted scale:

86 – 100% A Excellent

73 – 85% B Very Good

67 – 72% C+ Good

60 – 66% C Acceptable

50 – 59% C- Minimally Acceptable

SG –  Standing Granted

RM –  Requirement Met

F – Failed

W – Withdrawal

IE – Insufficient Evidence – where an Insufficient Evidence (IE) letter grade is assigned in a student progress report, it will be accompanied by written comments describing the following:

· The areas in which the student requires further attention or development

· The requirements that need to be fulfilled in relation to the expected learning outcomes

· A period for completion of the requirements and a review and evaluation of the student’s performance

APPEAL of Final Letter Grades

Students wishing to appeal an assigned final letter grade should discuss the evaluation with the teacher first. If still unsatisfied and wishing to pursue the concern further, students should contact administration.


There is a district process to challenge courses. If students feel that the appropriate learning outcomes for a Grade 10-12 course have been accomplished elsewhere, they may initiate the challenge process. See the Principal for further details.


A transcript of grades is available from the Ministry of Education to graduating students in August. Dogwood Diplomas certifying that all graduation requirements have been met are made available for graduates in September. Transcripts are available online from the Student Transcript Service and students can order, print, or have their transcript automatically sent to the post-secondary institution(s) of their choice from there.


Of the 80 credits required to graduate, at least 4 credits must have an Indigenous focus. (Indigenous-Focused Graduation Requirements – Province of British Columbia). In order to meet graduation requirements and be awarded a British Columbia Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma), students must earn a minimum of 80 credits and write the Grade 10 Numeracy Assessment and Grade 10 Literacy and Grade 12 Literacy Assessments. The 80 credits must include 52 credits for required courses (including 8 credits of Career Education courses) and a minimum of 28 elective credits.

Credits must be earned in the following required subject areas or courses:

  • A Language Arts 10 (4 credits)
  • A Language Arts 11 (4 credits)
  • A Language Arts 12 (4 credits)
  • A Social Studies 10 (4 credits)
  • A Social Studies 11 or 12 (4 credits)
  • A Mathematics 10 (4 credits)
  • A Mathematics 11 or 12 (4 credits)
  • A Science 10 (4 credits)
  • A Science 11 or 12 (4 credits)
  • Physical and Health Education 10 (4 credits)
  • An Arts Education and/or an Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies 10, 11, or 12 (4 credits)
  • Career Life Education – CLE 10 (4 credits)
  • Career Life Connections – CLC 12 (4 credits)

Students must also complete a minimum of 28 elective credits. These 28 credits may be from Ministry-Authorized or Board/Authority Authorized (BAA) courses,  post-secondary courses or external credentials, but not Locally Developed courses. Once the credits for required courses have been met, additional courses in that subject area count as elective credits.

Students must complete a minimum of 16 credits at the Grade 12 level, including a required Language Arts 12 course and Career Life Connections. These Grade 12 credits may be for required courses, electives, Independent Directed Study, External Credentials, or dual credit post-secondary courses (see the Earning Credit through Equivalency, Challenge, External Credentials, Post-Secondary Credit and Independent Directed Studies Policy for additional information).

MyEd Student and Parent Portal is open to view report cards, absences, and other pertinent information as your child progresses through K-12 education in the BC system.

If you require further information, we recommend you visit the K-12 Student Reporting Policy Information for Families